On 2016-07-05, Tinker <ti...@openmailbox.org> wrote:

Philip covered the rest in the other thread, but this remains:

> Why does not the OS load the dependency (libpthread and C)
> automatically, how do I make it do that, and on this topic, to your
> perception is there anything I not understood?

libc had weak functions which needed to be overridden from libpthread;
if pthread was dlopen()ed without being dynamically linked to a binary,
it was too late to do this.

There have been various iterations; the -znodlopen linking was still
relatively recent, before that there wasn't anything preventing you
from dlopen(somelib_needing_pthread) but because it didn't override
the libc functions, you would run into nasty bugs and broken behaviour.