On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 05:54:21PM +0200, Andreas Bartelt wrote:
> On 07/24/16 15:28, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> >On Sun, Jul 24, 2016 at 01:09:26PM +0200, Andreas Bartelt wrote:
> >>However, the wireless link via iwm(4) is currently almost unusable.
> >>Overall throughput for multiple tcp connections typically between 0 and
> >>1 Mbit/s but mostly on the lower end, i.e., 0.
> >
> >Looking at the wifi environment you're testing this in is very important.
> >
> >Does this happen consistently, and everywhere?
> >Or only at your home, with something like 20 other wifi networks on
> >the same channel?
> >

> I've attached some scans regarding WiFi networks at my vicinity. I also did
> some measurements for iwn(4) regarding throughput at different locations.
> Performance was particularly bad after suspend/resume -- do you think this
> might be related?

Assuming there is a suspend/resume bug where the HW doesn't get initialized
properly after resume, then yes, that could explain the problem.
I haven't noticed such a problem myself yet, nor gotten any such reports.
Can you gather more evidence somehow?

> nwid mywlan chan  8 bssid 74:de:2b:3b:02:65 79% 54M
> privacy,short_preamble,short_slottime,wpa2
> nwid aaaaaa chan 11 bssid 08:95:2a:87:f0:75 25% HT-MCS15
> privacy,short_slottime,radio_measurement,wpa2
> nwid bbbbbb chan 11 bssid 0a:95:2a:87:f0:77 22% HT-MCS15
> privacy,short_slottime,radio_measurement,wpa2,802.1x
> nwid cccccc chan 11 bssid 8c:04:ff:b9:29:02 22% HT-MCS15
> privacy,short_slottime,radio_measurement,wpa2
> nwid dddddd chan 11 bssid 00:03:c9:8b:ee:10 17% 54M
> privacy,short_slottime,wep
Channels 8 and 11 do have some overlap, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2.4_GHz_Wi-Fi_channels_%28802.11b,g_WLAN%29.svg
But not enough to qualify as a primary reason for your problem, I guess.
You might also have to take actual load of on these other networks into
account. An iwn(4) device in monitor mode in combination with tcpdump
will show you what's going on in the air (including control frames like
RTS/CTS frames):
  ifconfig iwn0 down
  ifconfig iwn0 -nwid -bssid -wpakey -nwkey -chan
  ifconfig iwn0 mediaopt monitor
  ifconfig iwn0 chan 8
  ifconfig iwn0 up
  tcpdump -n -i iwn0 -y IEEE802_11_RADIO

Earlier in this thread, you mentioned that your AP is running OpenBSD
with the ral(4) driver. The RTS threshold fix I committed last week will
likely affect its behaviour. Did you upgrade your AP to -current?
I'd be very interested to know how this AP behaves after an upgrade.