Joachim Schipper skrev:
On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 11:23:21PM +0100, Anders Normann wrote:
I am a newbie when it comes to OpenBSD, but have already set up my web-server with 3.8 and is quite happy with the ease of installation and the way it behaves. Have also installed 3.8 on a spare pc which sits in a closet and is used for testing. Use ssh to connect to that pc.

But ran into problems when trying to mount a cd by the command: mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0c /mnt/cdrom which returned the error message: input/output error. Thereafter it was impossible to release the cd and trying to "umount" it was to no avail; it was not mounted!

What am I doing wrong? Include the output of dmesg.

OpenBSD 3.8 (GENERIC) #138: Sat Sep 10 15:41:37 MDT 2005
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
cpu0: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.40GHz ("GenuineIntel" 686-class) 2.42 GHz
cpu0:
FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,SBF,SSE3,MWAIT,CNXT-ID
real mem = 1073258496 (1048104K)

I want some of that spares you have.

Aside from that, I don't see anything obviously wrong outside the error
message itself. Is cd0 working correctly under other OSes? Are all
cables securely in place? Does switching cd0 and cd1 help?

                Joachim

Am afraid you may be right about the cables as a possible source to the problems. CD1 was even worse so suspect a loose or defect cable. Don't use the cdrom on this pc a lot, but was planning to follow stable and wanted to copy files from cd. Shall have a look later, but need to clear some mess from the closet first.

As for the spare, it used to be my everyday pc, but it had a noisy fan, and I bought a laptop to use on my desktop and the project is really to convert the laptop to OpenBSD, but am not finished with the wireless setup yet. Things take time.

Thank you for the suggestions.