On 2016-08-26, Peter N. M. Hansteen <pe...@bsdly.net> wrote:

> The only downside is, the traditional forwarding that mailing lists do
> *also* triggers the DMARC dark magic, and there is a significant risk
> that messages sent with senders in DMARC domains via the mailing list
> to recipients with a somewhat DMARC-aware setup will be discarded.

I still have question on this subject that is not 100% clear to me. For
what I understand, when you use SPF and DKIM, what DMARC is based on if
you forget the ASPF part, and you have multiple mail servers in the path
that may all have their own DKIM signature for example, only the most
recent one for the last mail server to deliver to the final destination
is checked? So, DMARC will based is judgement on the last header part
with DKIM and SPF is present or not? I think so, but not 100% sure.

So, the problem comes form the fact that DMARC only look at the From:
field here being

From: "Peter N. M. Hansteen" <pe...@bsdly.net>

and then check DKIM and SPF in DNS for that domain and doesn't see the
last entry as valid being here:

Am I missing something so far?

> However, the solution or workaround is to set up the mailing list for
> the DMARC magic to do some benign rewriting of headers - the message
> at [2] describes how the FreeBSD list admins solved the problem for
> their lists.

So, may be the way to go around it without modifying the header as I
don;t thin it should or that would be a good idea may just be for you to
add to your SPF records the entry for the mailing list used as this:

host-2:~ daniel$ dig txt bsdly.net +short
"v=spf1 a mx ip4:213.187.179.198 ip4:194.54.103.54/26
ip6:2001:16d8:ff00:1a9::2 ip6:2001:16d8:ccbc:dead:beef::1 -all"

To this may be:

"v=spf1 a mx a:lists.openbsd.org ip4:213.187.179.198
ip4:194.54.103.54/26 ip6:2001:16d8:ff00:1a9::2
ip6:2001:16d8:ccbc:dead:beef::1 -all"

This way you still control it, however it does open a different problem
that I think you want to use DMARC for is that now anyone that present
itself as someone @bsdly.net using the lists.openbsd.org will be also
accepted as the DKIM is not verify as not in the most recent header of
the email.

I think it is like some company that use outlook.com to preserve their
identity and setup SPF, but then if oyu look at the SPF you add, it's so
darn big that anyone that want to hard your business only need an
outlook account and can assume your identity too the same way with valid
SPF you the company would have put it in place for the bad guy. Am I
missing something?

Or is the DKIM actually check ALL entry in the header to fidn one that
match the From: field in this case

From: "Peter N. M. Hansteen" <pe...@bsdly.net>

check the DKIM to be this one: