Thanks for the reply. I worked back through some previous snapshot kernels
and narrowed down the point where the problem was introduced:

Cold boot successful:
OpenBSD 6.0-current (GENERIC) #32: Tue Aug 23 03:13:41 MDT 2016

Cold boot hangs, warm boot ok:
OpenBSD 6.0-current (GENERIC) #34: Wed Aug 24 18:29:38 MDT 2016

I don't have kernel #33 (might not have been available as a snapshot).

Snapshot kernels subsequent to #34 all behave the same way: cold boots
hang, warm boots are successful.

It appears something is not being initialized properly on cold boots. I'll
have to go back through CVS commits to see if I can pinpoint a likely
cause.

Thanks,

--
Joe Gidi
j...@entropicblur.com

"You cannot buy skill." -- Ross Seyfried