Hi,

I have two active/passive CARPed boxes of 5.9 with latest errata patches
which serve as NAT firewalls, but also as pptp servers, which
authenticate users from Microsoft's implementation of radius server
(NPS).

In last two weeks, I had three occurrences of npppd going down. Last
32650 (!) lines of npppd log are the following two lines:

---cut-here---
Sep 14 15:32:50 nat1 npppd[11097]: sendto() failed in radius_request0:
No route to host
Sep 14 15:32:50 nat1 npppd[11097]: ppp id=956 radius accounting request
failed: No route to host
---cut-here---

Interestingly enough, last two lines have timestamp of only one second
later from the first two (of 32650):

---cut-here---
Sep 14 15:32:51 nat1 npppd[11097]: ppp id=956 radius accounting request
failed: No route to host
Sep 14 15:32:51 nat1 npppd[11097]: sendto() failed in radius_request0:
No route to host
---cut-here---

I am redirecting all the npppd logging to separate file by the
following configuration in syslog.conf:

---cut-here---
!!npppd
*.*                                                     /var/log/npppd
!*
---cut-here---

So, I would say the system logged 32650 lines of inaccessible radius
server in just one second, and finally crashed.

I noticed also following message in daemon log from a few minutes
before the crash:

---cut-here---
Sep 14 15:29:22 nat1 ospfd[2087]: send_packet: error sending packet on
interface bnx0: No buffer space available
---cut-here---

bnx0 is the interface over which radius server is accessed. I am aware
of errata 008_bnx.patch, and it is applied on this box as I said
earlier.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Thank you in advance,
After  enlightenment - chop wood, draw water.

Marko Cupać
https://www.mimar.rs/