On 16-09-20 15:36:52, Theodore Wynnychenko wrote:
> Hello
> I would like to get the isc-dhcp-client working as a replacement for the base
> dhclient.
>
> The primary reason for this is so that I can assign an alias to the interface.
>
> But, I can't seem to figure out how to get this done.  I have two issues.
>
> First, I can't get the isc-dhcp-client to assign an alias to the interface,
> despite the documentation that states it should.
>
> I have created an /etc/isc-dhclient.conf file:
> ---
> timeout 60;
> retry 60;
> reboot 10;
> select-timeout 5;
> initial-interval 2;
> script "/usr/local/sbin/dhclient-script";
>
> supersede domain-name "domain.com";
> supersede domain-name-servers d.n.s.1,d.n.s.2;
>
> request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers;
>
> alias {
>   interface "em0";
>   fixed-address fi.xed.ip.addr;
>   option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
> }
> ---
>
> But, after killing the running dhclient process (from base), removing the
> leases
> at /var/db/dhclient.leases* and starting isc-dhcp-client with:
>
> # /usr/local/sbin/dhclient -cf /etc/isc-dhclient.conf em0
>
> the isc client is able to get a an offer from the dhcp server, but it does
> _not_
> assign the alias address to the interface.  The only address is the
> dynamically
> assigned one.
>
> I can find no guidance on what I am doing wrong, and why the isc-dhcp-client
> is
> not assigning the alias.
>
> Second, I (apparently) don't understand how to replace the base dhclient with
> the isc dhclient at boot.
>
> I tried modifying /etc/hostname.em0 from:
> ---
> dhcp NONE NONE NONE description "Uplink"
> ---
>
> To:
> ---
> ! /usr/local/sbin/dhclient -cf /etc/isc-dhclient.conf em0
> ---
>
> But this did not work.  I now see in the hostname.if manpage that the command
> needs to be available in the single-user environment (/bin or /sbin), but it
> seems to me that if I was doing this "right," I shouldn't need to move the isc
> client from the location that the package installed it in.  So, before I start
> moving things around, I wanted to check if this is the way to do it, or if I
> have missed something more appropriate.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Ted

ALIAS DECLARATIONS
        alias {  declarations ... }

       Some DHCP clients running TCP/IP roaming protocols may require that in
       addition to the lease they may acquire via DHCP, their interface also
       be configured with a predefined IP alias so that they can have a
       permanent IP address even while roaming.  The Internet Systems
       Consortium DHCP client doesn't support roaming with fixed addresses
       directly, but in order to facilitate such experimentation, the dhcp
       client can be set up to configure an IP alias using the alias
       declaration.

       The alias declaration resembles a lease declaration, except that
       options other than the subnet-mask option are ignored by the standard
       client configuration script, and expiry times are ignored.  A typical
       alias declaration includes an interface declaration, a fixed-address
       declaration for the IP alias address, and a subnet-mask option
       declaration.  A medium statement should never be included in an alias
       declaration.

I think they are saying their dhcp-client cant handle fixed ip's so this is
some sort of workaround. These aren't the droids you're looking for.

--
Edgar Pettijohn