Wed, 21 Sep 2016 11:31:43 +0200 Jean Louis <lart...@gmail.com>
> Hello Anton,
>
> Thank you very much for your awesome help !
>
> I was aiming for a ~3000-7000 ATI Radeon video based on what I read on the
> Internet but you really helped me there to avoid wrong choices while
> buying. I feel grateful for your nice gesture, thanks again.
> Anyway as you said even if for some reason I might have troubles again to
> fix resolution, they are quite cheap so no worries !

Hi Jean Louis,

I began my work with modern computers 20+ years ago and over time have
been in difficulties mostly with the video cards, and their support in
the respective operating system.  Definitely this is the most critical
piece of the hardware specification to enable you to continue reliably
conveniently your exploration of the UNIX world OpenBSD carries truly.

My current ageing yet still fully functional desktop motherboard is an
old (unfortunate nForce4) SLI chipset with 2 PCIe slots, originally it
had an expensive at the time fanless nv(4) EN7600GT which ran fine yet
with no hardware acceleration (slow window redraws) it was no fun use.

I struggled years with the card until it started operating unreliably,
up to the point the computer would no longer boot.  The video card had
suffered electrolyte capacitors plague death, then I managed to repair
it and continued.  The years waiting were rewarded with an inexpensive
new Sapphire Radeon HD5450 which did work in the second PCIe slot.  It
is amazing this video card revived the ageing system and allowed me to
type this email message to you running on whopping 40 days uptime many
tasks to the limit of its mere 4GB RAM on the AMD FX-60 dual core CPU.

The only trouble I went with was to have to use the other PCIe slot to
boot up with the new video card in this about 10 year old system.  And
of course years of "less than excellent" experience with the original.

I feel almost obliged to spare the trouble for anyone looking for this
same information, the inexpensive new fanless low power video card for
continued use of their ageing or new low (running) cost PC's.  OpenBSD
has always helped me figure out which hardware provides the most usage
for the costs, with the certainty it can accomplish any task reliably.

As I said I use together a 27" monitor and a 17" with this 10 year old
system happily, and will continue as long as it can run reliably well,
given the ageing electrolyte capacitors on the main board.  With a new
system, I'd never pick anything before checking OpenBSD compliance for
it.  Certainly you will solve your video card needs with the nice tip.

Kind regards,
Anton