On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 01:02:10PM +0200, Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> [...]
> > > actually used.
> > >
> > >  68196 beam     CALL
> > > mmap(0,0x753000000,0<PROT_NONE>,0x1002<MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANON>,-1,0)
> > >  68196 beam     RET   mmap 11871265173504/0xacbfe8b3000
> > >
> > > Note the protection flags on the block.  No access is allowed.  This trick
> > > works just fine; here is what top says:
> > >
> > > load averages:  0.15,  0.13,  0.09         frerin.otp.ericsson.se 08:49:46
> > > 48 processes: 47 idle, 1 on processor                             up 13:49
> > > CPU0 states:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.0% system,  0.0% interrupt,  100%
> > > idle
> > > CPU1 states:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.0% system,  0.0% interrupt,  100%
> > > idle
> > > Memory: Real: 43M/636M act/tot Free: 7028M Cache: 508M Swap: 0K/8155M
> > >
> > >   PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE     WAIT      TIME    CPU
> > > COMMAND
> > > 68196 raimo      2    0   29G   15M sleep     poll      0:00  1.42% beam
> > >
> > > So I have a process with a data size of 29 GB on a machine with 16 GB
> > > memory + swap.  I have also tried to start an additional Erlang VM that
> > > also allocates 29 GB of virtual memory which also works.
> > >
> > > That this is allowed is just fine for me - this trick of allocating a
> > > "large enough" PROT_NONE memory to get one address range for some special
> > > data type is very useful for the Erlang VM.  But I wonder how to limit the
> > > actual memory use?  Setting down ulimit -m and ulimit -l to 10000 kbytes
> > > did not prevent this process from getting 15 MByte of "RES" memory...
> > >
> > > Is there some way to limit the actual amount of memory for a process when
> > > need to set up the datasize to allow for large unused virtual memory
> > > blocks?
> >
> > I have found clues in getrlimit,setrlimit(2):
> >
> >      RLIMIT_DATA     The maximum size (in bytes) of the data segment for a
> >                      process; this includes memory allocated via malloc(3)
> >                      and all other anonymous memory mapped via mmap(2).
> > :
> >      RLIMIT_RSS      The maximum size (in bytes) to which a process's
> >                      resident set size may grow.  This imposes a limit
> >                      on the amount of physical memory to be given to a
> >                      process; if memory is tight, the system will prefer
> >                      to take memory from processes that are exceeding
> >                      their declared resident set size.
> >
> > Now I try to figure out the implications of this...  If I set the data size
> > so the sum of the data sizes for all processes in the system is larger than
> > physical memory + swap, then any process may allocate the last block of
> > memory in the system so a more important process later will fail to
> > allocate?
>
> yes.
>

> > And the memoryuse limit is rather toothless since there is no immediate
> > check of this limit.  When the system gets low on memory; is all that
> > happens that processes that exceed their memoryuse limit probably will get
> > blocks swapped out?
>
> RLIMIT_DATA *is* enforced, but it could be that PROT_NONE memory is

That PROT_NONE is not counted sounds just as we want it to be...

That RLIMIT_DATA *is* enforced does not rhyme with what I saw, or I do not
know what I saw...  As you can se above I had set ulimit -m 10000 (kbytes)
and yet top reports RES 15M.  Is that not over the limit?  The PROT_NONE
memory is reported in the 29GB entry by top.  I can easily within the
erlang emulator construct a large list of integers that can not be in
PROT_NONE memory and squeeze the RES entry up to above 10000M...

> I suppose you are calling mprotect() on pages you want to read or
> modify. Those pages should be counted toward RLIMIT_DATA.

No, we do a new mmap with PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE of the part of the
PROT_NONE mapped block we want to change.

/ Raimo