On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 12:27 AM,  <bytevolc...@safe-mail.net> wrote:
> Is there any harm or issue with setting the log location
> of cron logs to /var/log/cron instead, or is it best to leave it
> in /var/cron/log?

I've moved cron logs to /var/log/cron on some of my own systems, and
while cron does work just fine, there are a bunch of changes you need
to make:

0. wait until no cron jobs are running or starting soon, that keeps this
procedure simple.

1. move the cron log(s):
# cd /var/cron
# mv log /var/log/cron
# mv log.0.gz /var/log/cron.0.gz
(continue with log.1.gz, etc. as desired)

2. edit /etc/syslog.conf, changing /var/cron/log to /var/log/cron

3. edit /etc/newsyslog.conf, changing /var/cron/log to /var/log/cron

4. edit /etc/mtree/special, moving the 'log' entry from the /var/cron section
to the /var/log section (and renaming from log to cron)

Without #4 you will get spurious warnings from security(8) when it
can't find cron logs where it expects them.

-ken