On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 7:23 AM, Mikael <mikael.ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oracle have been talking about making a low-end server model of their new
> Sparc64 chip, I guess that one will sell at around 5000 USD too.

I guess you talk about so called Sonoma/scale-out SPARCs, well those
were already unveiled and the prices start on > $11k -- see for
example S7-2 box configurations.

> (I didn't see any convincing ARM64 servers on the market yet.)

I'm not sure, but various of those already looks quite nice, will not
break the account nor power-bill and still be even comparable to
POWER7/8 in terms of raw C compilation power. By comparable I mean
they are not 10 times (or more) slower or so....