My advice: If you really want the performance boost and you think a recent
snapshot will provide it, make sure your backups are good and test the
snapshot on comparable hardware as best you can. I usually restore the dump
to a similar system, then boot from a snapshot bsd.rd and choose "Upgrade",
and if it works fine, then do the same upgrade in the production
environment. If it doesn't work right, troubleshoot it and file a bug
report, or wait a few days and try another snapshot. Or both. Whenever I've
had to do this in prod or on a system I rely on daily, I tend to stick with
that one working snapshot unless something gets strange.

You can jump back from your mid-cycle snapshot to -RELEASE when 6.1 becomes
available (presuming the changes you want are included in the release), and
then, track -STABLE with cvs, manual patches from errata or use M:Tier's
openup script.