Nothing funky with users in pf. I have tried to strip my pf.conf way back in
an attempt to remove possible issues
but that hasn’t improved anything. I filter by interface, ip, and port,
thats all (so far).

Nothing odd in dmesg. What really has me for a loop is why does everything
work except this one program.

# cat /etc/doas.conf
permit nopass root as _pkgfetch

# doas -u _pkgfetch host ftp.openbsd.org
ftp.openbsd.org is an alias for openbsd.sunsite.ualberta.ca.
openbsd.sunsite.ualberta.ca has address 129.128.5.191

This is interesting… I don’t really know where to go with this though. Any
suggestions?

# doas -u _pkgfetch ftp -o /tmp/text.html
http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/6.0/packages/amd64/
ftp: ftp.openbsd.org: no address associated with name