Just to share for others here.

This worked a treat! I never knew that on BMC based systems, the fan
control was taken away from the OS by IPMI like this.

Simply set it to "Optimal", and now the fan speed is controlled
automatically based on the different temperatures. Surprised this is the
default, but it is a server...

Cheers, Andy.

https://asgardahost.org/useful-raw-commands-for-supermicro-ipmi-modules/