You should be able to.
As far as I understand ipses.conf gets “translated” to isakmpd.conf

I use both.
What I have in isakmpd.conf is:

[General]
DPD-check-interval = 60

Works fine.

//mxb

> On 24 nov. 2016, at 22:58, Damian McGuckin <dami...@esi.com.au> wrote:
>
> Can you mix the use of 'isakmpd.conf' and 'ipsec.conf'?
>
> I currently use the former for port 500 stuff. We use both predefined
network-to-networks IPSec links with PreShared Secrets and also dynamic, i.e.
negotiated, network-to-network links. The thought of figuring out how to do
both with IPSec, especially the latter which does not seem to be documented
with examples, fills me with dread.

> I have just figured out to allow L2TP/IPSec connections which demands the
use of the latter.

> I would love to use both concurrently if I can?
>
> Has anybody got any experience with both working well together?
>
> Thanks - Damian
>
> Pacific Engineering Systems International, 277-279 Broadway, Glebe NSW 2037
> Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not wanted
here
> Views & opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present
employer