All

I'm looking for a 1U appliance that I can re-purpose into a firewall
using OpenBSD.  I've tried the near-free method by using an old Lacie
Ethernet Disk appliance I had lying around, but it turns out the
onboard SATA chipset is toast on this particular unit (it freezes at
CDBOOT when it detects hard drives and the BIOS freezes when I set it
to IDE mode with drives attached, plus it only has one onboard NIC and
one PCI slot, so I can't install another SATA card without removing
the other NIC I installed), so I'm looking for other options that fit
a limited budget.

The most important criteria are that it must be 1U and it must fit
within a 420mm (~16.5") space (for reasons I will explain below).  I
have a couple of Sun Netra X1s that meet the need, but I can't push
more than ~60mbps over the onboard FE ports and they run quite hot to
the point of causing kernel panics.

For a bit of context - I manage network and systems for a group that
run regular LAN parties at a local university, and our network
infrastructure lives in a 4RU flight case (with 420mm between the
front and rear vertical rails) currently occupied by three HP
switches.  We're currently using a Sun V20Z (admittedly running
pfSense, a decision made before I took over) but it's rather
cumbersome to carry along with three Dell 1950s (two VM hosts and a
Steam cache) and a Dell 2950 (NAS, provides iSCSI to VM hosts).  We
don't usually get more than 35 players and we don't do any complex
filtering on the firewall.

I've been considering looking at old firewall appliances like Nokias,
Sonicwalls, Watchguards or Barracudas - has anyone had any luck with
getting OpenBSD on any of those or other such appliances?

Gigabit ports would be nice (the university finally bought gigabit PoE
switches) but will accept Fast Ethernet if my budget says no.

--
Aaron Mason - Programmer, open source addict
I've taken my software vows - for beta or for worse