Hi,

I know that we cannot trust the hardware vendors and that all the hardware is
running firmware on ROMS, except some which are provided be the kernel.

However, I fail to understand the reason for this patch:

http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/distrib/miniroot/install.sub?f=h#rev1.654

It was really nice when OpenBSD asked during installation.

Yes, it can be argued that since we cannot get any open hardware at all it
doesn't matter whether the firmware is located on a ROM or if it's installed by
the kernel, but if we use that logic we might as well just use whatever binary
driver blob the vendors make for everything, right?

If no, then why not, what's the difference between running closed source
firmware and closed source drivers?

During a Debian installation, or even a Linux Mint installation, the user gets
the choice whether he wants to install these "non-free firmware blobs".

What have I misunderstood?

Kind regards,

Martin