On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 09:36:10AM -0500, aretes27...@mypacks.net wrote:
> The "smtpd.conf" man page states:
>
> relay [backup [mx]] [as address] ...
> If the as parameter is specified, smtpd(8) will rewrite the sender advertised
> in the SMTP session. address may be a user, a domain prefixed with ???@???, or
> an email address, causing smtpd(8) to rewrite the user-part, the domain-part,
> or the entire address, respectively.
>
> I tried this:
>
> relay as "@my-domain.com"
>
> But I get a "syntax error"?

Yes, keep reading this mail and find your error at the bottom of it.

> MS Outlook users get "550 Invalid recipient" errors when trying to send mail
> outside of our domain. The mail log entries are like:
>
> Jan 16 07:36:28 myserver smtpd[70549]: b76cb7a2aa7f61b8 smtp
> event=failed-command command="RCPT TO: <some.b...@somewhere.com>" result="550
> Invalid recipient"
>
> Using the command "mail" to compose a message and send it works.

This probably means a configuration issue but you didn't provide
enough log context to figure it out.

I'll take a wild guess:

You're connecting over SMTP and the ruleset considers your client
as a non-local one which ...

> My "smtp.conf" is:
>
> listen on all
> pki mail.example.com certificate "/etc/ssl/my-domain.com.crt"
> pki mail.example.com key         "/etc/ssl/my-domain.com.key"
>
> table aliases file:/etc/mail/aliases
>
> accept from any for domain "my-domain.com" alias <aliases> deliver to mbox
> accept for local alias <aliases> deliver to mbox
> accept from local for any relay

... is not allowed to relay based on this configuration ...

> # relay
>
> relay as "@my-domain.com"

... and this is where you get your syntax error, "relay as" is parameter
to accept, it should read:

   accept [...] relay as [...]

--
Gilles Chehade