On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 05:23:10PM -0500, Jiri B wrote:
> I have a disk which used to be boot disk of a degraded RAID 1 (softraid).
> The second disk is totally gone.
>
> I don't want to use this disk as RAID 1 disk anymore, just to get data
> from it.
>
> I'm asking because when I plugged the disk, bioctl said 'not enough disks'.
>
> Do we really have to necessary require two disks when attaching already
> existing
> degraded RAID 1 with only one disk available?

Can you describe in more detail what you did to "plug the disk"?
It sounds like you ran 'bioctl' in a way that tries to create a
new RAID1 volume. Why?

If the disk is present during system boot, is it not auto-assembled
as a degraded RAID1 volume? I would expect a degraded softraid RAID1
disk to show up which you can copy data from.