( stable 5.9 i ll update soon )
I carefully read man pages, find out i cant use hostname.pppoe
because ??? i am probably not seeing something obvious but ...

So i execute :
ifconfig pppoe0 destroy # for fresh start :D
ifconfig pppoe0 pppoedev em6 authproto pap authname\
 YYYYYY authkey XXXXXXXXX && ifconfig pppoe0 debug &&\
 ifconfig pppoe0 inet 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 broadcast 255.255.255.255 && echo OK

When i do not pass first the auth params it doesnt work, once it s up , no
more configuring
if  i got this right.

The first ip given after auth is always rejected :
/bsd: pppoe0: ipcp parse opt values:  address IPV4 [not agreed]  send
conf-nak

Then

pppoe0: ipcp nak opts: address [wantaddr OtherIPV4] [agree]

But

pppoe0: ipcp parse opt values: still need hisaddr  send conf-nak

until the driver abandoned all hope.

And know i am just scratching my head :-(

/\