I'm wondering if it's possible to do content filtering in a firewall.
Maybe with something that cooperates with pf.  I'm on a very limited
(5 GB/month) metered internet connection through a cell phone and I'm
not the only user when I have it shared over wifi.  I'd like to block
video because it's an incredible waste.  Problematic clients are
Android/Kindle.  User competence in not clicking where they shouldn't
is sometimes an issue.

I can see this happening if there's a file size available during
transfers, if the size is under a certain threshold value it just
passes without interference, over a certain size the first few bytes
of the file get checked.  If it fails the check that exact URL to the
file would get blacklisted for maybe 24 hours.  I've noticed watching
random transfers with wget that in some cases it knows the file size
from somewhere and sometimes not.  Presumably there's no size
available on streaming video so just block it.

There seems to be an abundance of video in advertising in apps but
also in news apps there's a mix of video and text stories.  Most of
the world assumes bandwidth is free and fast.  Some videos are bigger
than entire operating systems, and most are fairly pointless.  If the
transfer is happening over an ssl connection maybe not much can be
done since from the firewall's perspective it's just encrypted data,
essentially inside a tunnel.