Hi Jan,

On Fri, Mar 03, 2017 at 08:54:02AM +0100, Jan Stary wrote:
| On Mar 03 08:46:11, h...@stare.cz wrote:
| > This is current/amd64 (dmesg below). I got me this
| > https://www.alza.cz/EN/axago-pcea-s2-d277216.htm
| > to have two extra serial ports to connect to my ALIXes.
| > It shows up in dmesg as
| >
| >   puc0 at pci2 dev 0 function 0 "NetMos Nm9922" rev 0x00: ports: 1 com
| >   com4 at puc0 port 0 apic 2 int 16: st16650, 32 byte fifo
| >   puc1 at pci2 dev 0 function 1 "NetMos Nm9922" rev 0x00: ports: 1 com
| >   com5 at puc1 port 0 apic 2 int 17: st16650, 32 byte fifo
|
| Hm, puc(4) says
|
|   The current design of this driver keeps any com ports on these
|   cards from easily being used as console.  Of course, because boards with
|   those are PCI boards, they also suffer from dynamic address
|   assignment, which also means that they can't easily be used as console.
|
| What do people use as a serial port expansion then
| to connect to the ALIX serial console?

Using a com(4) port as console means the kernel writes its messages
there during boot.  The bootloader prompts you on it.  You can run a
getty(8) there so you can log in to the system.  This is what you want
to do on your ALIXes.

On your machine with puc(4), you can simply use the additional com(4)
ports to talk to the consoles on your ALIXes by using cu.  Point it at
the proper outgoing terminal device (for /dev/cuaXX, use -l cuaXX) and
use the correct speed (e.g. -s 19200).

The machine that has puc(4) may have its console on a glass terminal
(using a monitor and keyboard), or it itself may have a serial
console.  In that case *THAT* should use an onboard serial port, not
one behind puc(4).

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/