On Fri, Apr 07, 2017 at 05:06:22PM -0500, Jordon wrote:
> My new wifi adapter finally arrived today (AR9271) so I want to give hostap a
> try with its new 802.11n support.

> Am I on the right track?

No. AR9271 is a USB device, and unfortunately there are bugs in the
driver that prevent hostap from working properly with USB devices.

At least in my testing, the device sends no beacons. I have not yet
found a way to fix it and am not currently investing more time into it.
Perhaps it will get fixed some day.

ATHN(4)                      Device Drivers Manual                     ATHN(4)

BUGS
     Host AP mode does not work with USB devices.