On 2017-04-12, Sterling Archer <deb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 8:50 AM, Stefan Sperling <s...@stsp.name> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 01:20:20AM +0200, Sterling Archer wrote:
>> > Hello everyone.
>> >
>> > After upgrading to 6.1 about an hour ago, I noticed that I didn't have an
>> > IPv6 connection
>> > anymore.
>> >
>> > I use dhcpcd over a pppoe session, which worked fine in 6.0-stable. The
>> > problem seems to
>> > be a failure to add a default inet6 route on the pppoe device. I see this
>> > error in the dmesg
>> > console log:
>> >
>> > "add net default: gateway fe80::: No route to host"
>> >
>> > Did I miss something in the changelog, or is this a bug?
>> >

>> > Here's the contents of my hostname.pppoe0:
>> >
>> > [sven@puffy ~]$ cat /etc/hostname.pppoe0
>> > description "pppoe session over vlan6"
>> > inet 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 NONE mtu 1500 \
>> >         pppoedev vlan6 authproto pap \
>> >         authname 'kennyloggins' authkey 'dangerzone!'
>> > dest 0.0.0.1
>> > inet6 eui64
>> > !/sbin/route add default -ifp pppoe 0.0.0.1
>> > !/sbin/route add -inet6 default -ifp pppoe0 fe80::
>> >

>> Can you add a default route manually once the pppoe session is up or
>> does that not work either?
>>

> Sorry, I should have mentioned that, it fails when you attempt to
> manually add it too.

This was due to a change in how the routing table is handled, I'm hoping
it is temporary because it makes things awkward with dynamic addresses.
It's not so bad for v6 where you can use any address in thr correct scope;
v4 is worse as it means you either have to rely on the horrible 0.0.0.1
hack or look up the remote address when you're adding a route for pppoe.