I'm using slim as the Display Manager on 6.1-RELEASE on my main laptop,
with Lumina for the time being as my DE. I just added the following to the
end of /etc/slim.conf and it does auto-login for me. Frustratingly, "log
out" immediately logs me back in instead of prompting. If you're okay with
that, then give it a go.

auto_login          yes
default_user        axon

Slim obeys the .xsession script for whatever Desktop Environment or Window
Manager you've chosen, or you can adjust the default sessions in slim.conf
as well. Both my .xsession and .xinitrc contain this line that starts up
Lumina.

exec start-lumina-desktop

Cheers