On 2017-04-21 10:50, Stefan Sperling wrote:
On 2017-04-21 02:13, Jeff wrote:
> I have a Sunfire V120 (Sparc) with mirrored disks running OpenBSD 6.0.
> First I tried to copy bsd.rd to / and boot from it.  When I boot
> using 6.1 bsd.rd (boot /bsd.rd), the boot messages still show
> OpenBSD 6.0.

Hi Jeff,

If you use softraid on sparc64, you should have a small ffs FS on your
first disk, containing the kernel and ofwboot.
That *is* where you should put the new bsd.rd, and copy the new kernel(s)
at the end of install.

The firmware doesn't know how to boot a softraid volume, hence the need
for this small FS.

A separate boot partition is not required.

The first stage boot loader is a Forth script which reads a second stage
(ofwboot) from the softraid meta data area. ofwboot will load a kernel
from RAID1 and CRYPTO volumes. See the last few slides in
https://www.openbsd.org/papers/eurobsdcon2015-softraid-boot.pdf

The install/upgrade scripts run installboot(8) to set this up.

The only differences to i386/amd64 is that bootable sparc64 RAID partitions must use the letter 'a' (the first stage does not try any other letters) and that the boot-device and boot-file open firmware environment variables must
be set up correctly (see boot_sparc64(8)).

Wow, you've just made my day!
Thanks, Stefan.

Best regards,
Mickael.