On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 06:47:17PM +0200, Karl Pettersson wrote:
> Arch Linux works well as a vmd guest. Some notes about my experiences
> installing the system:
>
> * The Arch installation can be started from the serial console, see:
>   https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Working_with_the_serial_console
>   #Installing_Arch_Linux_using_the_serial_console
>   However, the installation still tends to be unstable, due to unreliable
>   downloads (which has been discussed earlier). Until this is fixed, the
>   installation can be run in QEMU, or in a guest under Linux/KVM (as is
>   currently required by distributions with graphical install).
>
> * Syslinux has to be used as bootloader, and serial console should be
>   enabled: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Syslinux#Serial_console
>   Moreover, the generated config has to be edited to point to the
>   correct root device, and if Ext4 is used as root file system, it must
>   not be 64bit (which is enabled by default when the file system is
>   created): http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Filesystem

Thanks for trying this out and reporting Karl.

The notes about serial console are welcome. Do note that we are working toward
an sgabios + seabios payload so that you will be able to install from media
that uses the regular VGA console (sgabios redirects VGA text mode I/O to
the serial console). There are a couple of developers working on this, hopefully
it will make it to the tree soon.

-ml