On 02.05.2017. 19:57, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

We're looking to buy some 10-gig SFP+ boards, and are eyeing up Supermicro's 2-port boards (listed as the 'Intel 82599ES - AOC-STGN-i2S').

ix(4) doesn't list the ES variant of the chip, and a quick grep through the driver source doesn't mention it explicitly, either. Are any of you running this board under >= 6.0 ?

(We need to buy these boards as part of a single lease, so I'm constrained on what's available. Otherwise I'd just buy some X520s.)

82599ES is the the "standard" two-interface chip, which is used in Intel X520 and many other boards.

82599EB is also a two-interface chip, but with XAUI interface only (no 10 Gb/s serial capability for directly connecting to SFP+). I didn't see any boards which use it, but it would be suitable for XENPAK or X2 transceivers. So 82599ES is essentialy 82599EB + serdes.

There is also 82599EN, which is a single port 82599ES.

These data can be found in the 82599 datasheet. I am familiar with them, because five years ago I worked on a 82599ES board design, but sadly my company didn't mananage to finish it on time. There was suddenly more and more boards on the market, the prices dropped, and we abandoned the almost-completed project.