On 2017-05-19, system_halted <system_hal...@o2.pl> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new to BSD world, yet enjoying very much OpenBSD 6.1 that I have
> installed recently. As a newcomer I have some questions, sorry for having a
> mix of everything.
>
> 1. I have a pendrive with ext3fs
>
> fdisk output on Debian:
> Disk /dev/sdc: 29.8 GiB, 32027705344 bytes, 62554112 sectors
> Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> Disklabel type: dos
> Disk identifier: 0xbb378728
>
> Device     Boot Start      End  Sectors  Size Id Type
> /dev/sdc1        2048 62554111 62552064 29.8G 83 Linux
>
> disklabel:
> # /dev/rsd2c:
> type: SCSI
> disk: Debian testing a
> label: md64 1
> duid: 0000000000000000
> flags:
> bytes/sector: 512
> sectors/track: 32
> tracks/cylinder: 64
> sectors/cylinder: 2048
> cylinders: 30544
> total sectors: 62554112
> boundstart: 0
> boundend: 62554112
> drivedata: 0
>
> 16 partitions:
> #                size           offset  fstype [fsize bsize   cpg]
>    a:         62554112                0 ISO9660
>    c:         62554112                0 ISO9660
>

> What is that I am missing? To my understanding OpenBSD does handle ext3, is
> this some kind of a problem with partition table on the drive? I did put
> ISO image of Debian testing on that drive with cp before, but than deleted
> all partitions created new and formatted the drive. After mounting sd2a
> I can see directory tree of ISO image that originally was on that drive,
> content of the files is obviously all messed up. sd2c cannot be mounted
> "Device not configured".

It sounds like part of the special hybrid iso+HD image format from the Debian
image remains on the disk. Generally it's best to dd zeros over the start of
a drive before reusing it, especially with a special format like that.

What I would do in this situation is copy the data off, "dd if=/dev/zero
of=/dev/rsdXc bs=1m count=1" (replace X with the correct device number),
repartition and reformat, then copy the data back.

I wouldn't recommend ext2fs, it's not very widely used so you're more likely
to run into a problem. Likewise I wouldn't use FFS support on Linux for the
same reason. FAT32 is a safer choice if you need to share the filesystem.

> 2. Firefox
> Seem to have problems with certain sites with js - cannot get through to
> log in into protonmail.com, Epiphany handles it without any problems. This
> is not associated with any addons that I have on FF, tried in on fresh
> vanilla FF and result is the same. Did anyone observe similar issue?
> Resolving suggestions?

Try raising the datasize limit, either try "ulimit -d $((2048*1024))" before
running firefox, or raise datasize-cur in the 'staff' class in /etc/login.conf
and logout and back in. (adjust the actual value as necessary).

> 3. Audio
> With headphones in there is a slight white noise that can be heard. I do
> not have that effect while on Debian. This effect does not go away when
> playing sound or reducing volume to 0 (xfce4-mixer). Any suggestions?

No idea personally. But reply to the list with output of mixerctl, audioctl
and dmesg (inline, not attached) and see if someone else has an idea.