> On Fri, May 05, 2017 at 09:34:57PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> > On 2017-05-05, Roland Kammerer <dev....@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Today I upgraded to OpenBSD 6.1 and saw that none of the mirrors seem to
> > > contain packages for mips64el anymore.
> > >
> > > Are they still building?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Are we there yet? Are we there yet? ;-). I think for the last 5 or so
> releases I updated pretty soon after the official release, so this looks
> new...

The release process worked different when CDs were being manufactured.

The tree was locked way before release day, approximately 5-6 weeks.
Base builds were completed, then CDR were created and sent to the
plant.  Manufacturing tended to take around 3 weeks.  During that
time, the slower architectures would get caught up on building
packages, and be ready in time for release day.

Since there is no manufacturing holdup anymore, I have decided we'll
release OpenBSD as soon as "most important stuff is done".  That is
all bases, plus packages for 2-4 important architectures.  That means
packages for slower architectures will arrive whenever they are
finished.  This will be evaluated each release.

This new model is better for developers, myself included of course.

> I once donated a ppc g4 mac mini to some openbsd dev. If it helps, I
> could donate my loongson box. Just let me know.

The mips64el packages are built on a cluster of 4 loongson machines.
The machines are small, it could use a larger cluster maybe, but 1
machine won't make much difference.  Hopefully a faster system with
the same architecture shows up in the future.