On 05/28/17 22:50, Steven McDonald wrote:
On Sun, 28 May 2017 15:37:08 -0400
Maximilian Pichler <maxim.pich...@gmail.com> wrote:

After the installation of a VisionTek Radeon 5450 graphics card my
machine gives a blank screen after booting. It still shows the normal
system messages (full dmesg below), with the last visible one being
"scsibus4 at softraid0: 256 targets". Then the monitor (connected via
DisplayPort) goes into power save mode. This is on OpenBSD 6.1 and
amd64.

Have you tried booting more than once? I've had this problem on a
Radeon HD 6850 after a fresh install in the past, and after a reboot > it
worked. I suspect the cause was that fw_update ran too late for the
firmware to load correctly (and I no longer have access to that
hardware to test).

I see this every time after a fresh install on a Radeon HD 6450, too.
Login and reboot (as with eyes shut) has always been successful.

By the way, recently, I had a nice effect: I forgot to attach the
monitor cable before boot, hence the usual 1600x1200 resolution was not
detected, and the standard 1024x768 mode was chosen. After connecting
the monitor cable, as a result I got the neat SunOS console font based
on the lower resolution (getting back the full resolution in the
consecutive startx session). I like it very much, since it was better
readable and not that tiny. Is there a way to choose lower resolutions for radeondrm console using some suitable configuration file?

With best regards,
Jens