> Lots of fsck time and an unbootable system if I understand this stuff.

Actually, since fsck is all about metadata (inodes), a big, mostly-empty
isn't going to take much longer to check than a smaller partition with
the same number of used inodes and cylinder groups.

> Disk space outside the filesystems does not need to be checked.

This is true.  If you have a much bigger drive than you really need,
consider leaving unallocated space outside the filesystems,
as suggested earlier by Nick.

> Disk space you do not have does not need to be checked.
> In fact if coming up fast from a power fail is the objective,
> 4G seems like way too much.

You can always buy a 40GB drive and only use the first 3GB if you like,
with the advantage of short seek time and faster disk access :)

Kevin