On 2017-07-18, Radoslav_Mirza <radoslav_mi...@protonmail.com> wrote:

> To congratulate myself for 2 years of not smoking I want to buy a new medium
> to high end laptop and install only OpenBSD on it.
>
> Does anyone run OpenBSD on a brand new laptop with good support?

I recently treated myself to a current (5th gen) Thinkpad X1 Carbon.

The principal limitation at the moment, shared by all current laptops
with a Kaby Lake CPU, is that there is no inteldrm(4) support yet:
* You need to run X11 with wsfb(4).  Non-accelerated, but perfectly
  fine for my use: window manager, xterms, web browser.
* No backlight control.
* No suspend/resume.  Well, suspend works, and resume mostly works,
  except that there is no video.

Beyond that, it just works.  In particular, these work:
* UEFI boot
* nvme(4) for the SSD
* em(4), Intel I219-V
* iwm(4), 8265; the driver spews various warnings/errors but seems
  to work in practice
* audio, keyboard, trackpoint, trackpad

There is so much hardware, I haven't used or tested it all.  I don't
know about the status of these:
* HDMI output
* camera, uvideo(4) attaches
* LTE modem, umb(4) attaches
* fingerprint reader

The poorly accessible SD card reader isn't supported.

The UEFI BIOS comes with two sets of default settings.  The normal
ones and "OS Optimized Defaults" for Windows 10.  My machine came
configured with the latter, so I switched it back to the standard
defaults.  If you want to disable hyperthreading, you're out of
luck: there is no such option.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de