Linode works pretty well for me; I understand that some have EC2
working as well, but I’ve not taken the time to try that.

There area a couple of different ways, as well, with Linode to create
base images and speed new server deployments. I personally store my
base images off-line and copy up when I spin up a new VM.

The offer quite a bit of flexibility, and their virtual environment is
all KVM-based now (only legacy VMs are using Xen anymore).

But plan for your own redundancy, backups, etc. This is true with any
provider… But Linode, in particular, doesn’t support live migrations
and such—so if they have server issues and your VM is on that server,
you’re environment would be down otherwise.