On 28 July 2017, Steve Williams <st...@williamsitconsulting.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently upgraded to 6.1 and am trying to (finally, after many OpenBSD
> versions over 10 years) fine tune my home network.
>
> I would like to run a local resolver on my internal network that will
> resolve all my hosts on my local network to IP addresses on my local
> network(s) rather than resolving to their public IP addresses.
>
> I believe it's called a "split zone" DNS, where my domain is resolved
> locally, but everyone else is resolved using normal resolution processes.
>
> I set this up at one of my previous jobs using BIND, but that was 7 years
> ago.  I've never gone to the trouble of doing it at home, but I would like
> to exercise my brain a bit as well as having my home network set up
> "better".
>
> What is the best tool to accomplish this these days?  Is NSD the "modern"
> tool to be using on OpenBSD?
>
> Are there any hooks for dhcpd to update records?
>
> I've read the NSD(8), nsd.conf(5) man pages and that seems to be the way to
> go, but I thought I'd check the wisdom here to see if there is a better
> approach.

    unbound(8) probably does exactly what you want.  It's mainly a
recursive resoler, but it can also answer authoritatively for "local"
zones, or simply override addresses for given hosts (think anti-spam).
Unless you also want to answer queries for your domain comming from the
Internet, you don't need a separate authoritative server.

    Regards,

    Liviu Daia