On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 02:47:27PM +0200, Christian Gut wrote:

> > On 2.Aug. 2017, at 14:09, Gilles Chehade <gil...@poolp.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 01:47:09PM +0200, Kirill Miazine wrote:
> >> * Eric Faurot [2017-08-02 13:24]:

> >> what about defining a new name in DNS containing addresses of all
> >> smarthosts as a workaround for the OP for now?
> >>

> > This can work in some use-cases, this is exactly what a co-worker did to
> > work around the limitation.
>
> How will smtpd operate then? Does it use the DNS records in a round robin
> fashion or does it try them one after another if they fail?

smtpd maintains states about its routes to a destination.

what will happen is that it will resolve your relay hostname into all of
its addresses and attempts to route to them. if a route is broken, it is
marked as such for a small period and reattempted later, meanwhile there
will be routes that aren't marked as broken and which smtpd will be able
to use.

--
Gilles Chehade

https://www.poolp.org                                          @poolpOrg