On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 10:55 AM, Federico Giannici
<giann...@neomedia.it> wrote:
> Is it possible to set a "Hot Spare" chunk for a RAID1 Softraid?
> From the "bioctl" man page seems that this functionality is available for
> "RAID controllers" only.
> Is it correct?
>
> Thanks.

I don't know about that, but from softraid(4) I know that:

"RAID 1
A mirroring discipline. It copies data across more than one chunk to
provide for data loss. Read performance is increased, though at the
cost of write speed. Unlike traditional RAID 1, softraid supports the
use of more than two chunks in a RAID 1 setup."

So, why not a 3 disk mirror?

>From bioctl(8):

"Configure softraid0 with 4 special devices (/dev/sd2e, /dev/sd3e,
/dev/sd4e, /dev/sd5e) and a RAID level of 1:

# bioctl -c 1 -l /dev/sd2e,/dev/sd3e,/dev/sd4e,/dev/sd5e softraid0"

-N