> From meun...@ccs.neu.edu Mon Aug 21 15:08:32 2017
> Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 15:42:27 -0400
> From: Philippe Meunier <meun...@ccs.neu.edu>
> To: Ted Unangst <t...@tedunangst.com>
> Subject: Re: Full disk encryption questions
>
> Ted Unangst wrote:
> >Philippe Meunier wrote:
> >> - is the panic intended (well, known to the developers and considered
> >> normal; I hesitate to call it a feature) or is it an oversight?
> >
> >no, nothing bioctl does should kill init like that.
>
> Well, it does, and it's reproducible.

I randomly stumbled upon this same issue when I ran bioctl -d on the
wrong disk last night.

> >> - I would have thought that, once the softraid volume has been created, its
> >> metadata wouldn't need to change (unless the passphrase is changed, or the
> >> volume is roaming, as seen above). Any idea why part of it gets trashed?
> >
> >that's true, but maybe a stray write killed it?
>
> It happens even in single-user mode when only / is mounted read-only and
> only init and a shell are running.

I am going to dump the first few hundred sectors of my disk before
attempting to fix this with installboot.  Hopefully I can see what
changes.

> I don't know whether the "cross-device install" message is supposed to be
> just informative or indicates an error...
> Anyway, upon rebooting the machine, I still get the same
> "open(hd0a:/etc/boot.conf): Invalid argument" error message.
>
> Philippe

Try boot sr0a:bsd.  That works for me.  It looks like something causes
it not to attempt booting sr0 first.

Martin