I have a virtually identical setup on my primary laptop (i5 540M, 8GB RAM)
running amd64 and my netbook (Atom N455, 2GB RAM) running i386. The
difference in RAM usage on boot is something around a dozen megabytes. You
won't notice this. The only good reason to run i386 is if your system
doesn't support amd64.