You are a legend.  Got it working with that!

Thank you so much, saved me a bigger headache!

p.s. Still, looking at the man page that really is not obvious where it
mentions [realm] and [htpasswd].  I read it totally differently, that the
htpasswd is a location to a file and not just a declaration to look for a file
in the current dir named htpasswd etc.  I wonder where did "Secure Area" came
from too, 'realm' is mentioned but I had not a clue what it even was.  I still
don't.  I cannot stand the man page for httpd.conf - so much frustration for me.