I actually tried a 6.2 amd64 snap downloaded fresh yesterday first, then
tried 6.1-RELEASE after that. When I installed 6.1-RELEASE, I bailed from
the installer, attached to the existing softraid crypto volume, nuked the
first 1M of the SR_CRYPTO volume -- sd2c in my case -- as in the FAQ and
then re-partioned it, rather than re-creating that volume from scratch
again.

The first photo is from the 6.2 snapshot and is mostly just to highlight
the hilarity that ensues when you run native resolution on a Retina
display. The next two are all from that second install of 6.1-RELEASE,
installed atop the crypto volume I created with the 2017-09-21 snap.

I did verify that the cursor glitches and keyboard goes unresponsive at the
UKC prompt ( from boot -c ) even from the install images for 6.1 and
yesterday's snap. Also, before the "Copyright (c) 1982..." kernel message,
I see this both in the install kernels and otherwise and it is also shown
in the image dump:

kbc: cmd word write error

I just did a fresh install from yesterday's snapshot without using FDE or
doing anything fancy. Results are now mostly the same except for a brief
intermission of flashing-question-folder (missing EFI, I presume) followed
by the bootloader (which I can type in) and the screen going blank and the
system going unresponsive in the same way as I reported in my first post.
I'm more systems and security guy than a developer, but I don't mind
helping where I can. I'm just out of ideas, so additional suggestions are
welcome.