On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org> wrote:
> What is not good is when you do have a RAID array, the controller is
> in RAID mode, but OpenBSD doesn't understand the metadata, so it corrupts
> data on the disk.
>
> This is a difficult area. We don't want to corrupt data, but then some
> BIOS don't allow this option to be changed at all, and on others BIOS
> only offer a choice between IDE and (unsupported) RAID, even though
> it's an AHCI controller.

Would a config flag for ahci(4) that when enabled, forces it to attach
to the Intel RAID PCI IDs, work here, or would that have to be handled
at a lower level?

If so, users who have a broken BIOS or are willing to accept the risk
of destroying their RAID metadata could enable the flag with UKC, but
the defaults would remain safe.