>>> Things that sysclean finds under /usr are generally ok, if you've done
>>> a few OS updates you will have a bunch of old gcc-related files, perl
>>> binare modules from past versions, dead manual pages, etc.
>>>
>>> I would suggest loading into an editor, sorting, reviewing the list.
>>> sysclean is aware of known ports files but there are some things like
>>> optional config files that it can't know about, so watch out for those
>>> (but usually not in /etc). If you're not confident you can tar them up
>>> rather than removing outright.
>>>

>> Stuart,
>>
>> Thanks for telling me about sysclean, I was not aware of this utility
>> before.  I've run sysclean
>> and removed over 280 files/directories. and have improved free space quite a
>> bit, but still seem
>> to think I've an issue with /usr.
>>
>> Right now I have a clean 6.2 base system, but still have the source code
>> tree installed for 6.1.
>> Usually I just wipe /usr/src and /usr/obj, but I'm thinking I need to find a
>> better way to
>> manage
>> /usr space.  Can you instruct me a bit on what I should do with /usr (and
>> all subdirectories)
>> upon
>> upgrading from one version to another.
>>
>> Here is my free space according to df after running sysclean and cleaning up
>> those
>> files/directories:
>>
>> Filesystem                     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
>> /dev/wd0a                     1005M   63.4M    891M     7%    /
>> /dev/wd0k                     22.7G    321M   21.3G     1%    /home
>> /dev/wd0d                      3.9G   12.0K    3.7G     0%    /tmp
>> /dev/wd0f                      2.0G    1.6G    274M    86%    /usr
>> /dev/wd0g                     1005M    183M    771M    19%    /usr/X11R6
>> /dev/wd0h                      6.8G   27.1M    6.4G     0%    /usr/local
>> /dev/wd0j                      3.9G    293M    3.5G     8%    /usr/obj
>> /dev/wd0i                      3.9G    852M    2.9G    22%    /usr/src
>> /dev/wd0e                      6.3G   28.1M    6.0G     0%    /var
>
> 1.6GB used in /usr still seems a bit high. Do you have the ports tree
> installed
> there? Normally I'd recommend a separate partition for that. If not, you'll
> need
> to figure out what's using the space.

Stuart,

I do have the ports tree installed on /usr. To help break this down a bit, I
ran 'du -hs' on each
subdirectory of /usr, and here is size breakdown:

/usr/X11R6    183M  *separate partition
/usr/bin      112M
/usr/games    2.0k
/usr/include  25.5M
/usr/lib      169M
/usr/libdata  39.9M
/usr/libexec  38.4M
/usr/local    27.1M *separate partition
/usr/mdec     314k
/usr/obj      293M  *separate partition
/usr/ports    382M
/usr/sbin     17.3M
/usr/share    231M
/usr/src      852M  *separate partition
/usr/xenocara 657M
/usr/xobj     3.1M

Totaling everything that should be on the /usr partition, is just over 1.6GB.
This seems to
confirm df -h totals shown above.

I have the 6.1 src, sys, ports, and xenocara gz files all untarred and
installed.

Again, thanks for your time.

Jay