So after re-reading man pages and a quick consultation of some Wikipedia
pages, kernel support for most Radeon cards upto those in the Northern
Islands family are supported. That ties in nicely with what you've outlined
as thats the family that came before they made the change to the GCN
Microarchitecture and Instruction set.

Hopefully it's something that will be supported in the not too distant
future.Until then, it's back in my box.

Thanks all.