On Thu, 23 Nov 2017, Kevin Chadwick wrote:

[...] It is not like systemd that is replacing an existing system
in a more complex way.

I think, initialisation got always more complex. BSD init is simpler
than Sys V init, systemd went to the extrem. But rc scripts seem
also got always more complex. Even FreeBSD scripts got, in my
opinion, unreadable. For me is even a surprise to see a call "cc"
in an rc script.

[...] Personally I believe security should be the focus of almost
all software development,

This is definitively not my opinion, because I do not hold
internet connection (and networking) as escential in computing.

Rodrigo.