This was, in fact, the reason.  I had an MP kernel running on a VM with a
single CPU.

I ended up moving to an SP kernel, but I needed to copy
/usr/share/compile/GENERIC for a working i386 SP machine.  To make sure
everything was updated I also reverted syspatches and then re-applied them.
Everything looks good now.