hi again,

> > according to an off-list e-mail, wi(4) doesn't currently support
> > setting the bssid and the man page lied to me. is this the case,
> > or was the error a result of something else?
>
> Yes wi doesn't support the relevant ioctls for setting bssid
> at this time, man page in -current has been updated to reflect this.

does wi(4) even support setting the channel?

$ sudo ifconfig wi0 chan 6
ifconfig: SIOCS80211CHANNEL: Invalid argument

the weird thing is that this seems to work:
$ sudo wicontrol wi0 -f 6

but after i run it, the interface will still choose an AP on a
different channel if the signal is stronger (both APs have the same
nwid).

so the question is: is wi(4) secure at all? if i choose to run openbsd
for a point-to-point wifi connection, i choose a specific nwid and
channel. but since i cannot select bssid nor even chan, the two nodes
just connect to the best looking signal under the given nwid. so some
wardriver comes along, sets his prism as hostap, sets his nwid the
same as mine, and sticks his antenna directly in front of one of my
node's antenna. the the point-to-point connection fails.

so i guess the two options are:
1. use different hardware that uses a differnet driver (poor solution)
2. fix wi(4)

can anyone comment on if it would be possible/hard to port features
from net/free?

thanks,
lucas