Ted Unangst wrote:
> Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> > Sparc64 and powerpc also have speculative execution, branch
> > prediction and extensive caches. It is much wiser to assume they are
> > also affected by (similar) bugs/explots or whatever you call it.
>
> A lot of the commonly available sparc64 gear, T2 and USIII, are in order.

So that's not exactly right, since branch prediction and speculative exection
are somewhat orthogonal to out of order execution. I'm assuming they are
somewhat less affected because without all the fun out of order machinery the
CPU won't go nearly so far down the branch.

Specifically regarding meltdown, sparc64 doesn't map the kernel in userland,
right?

Regarding spectre, the bounds check bypass requires executing past two
branches. Can a sparc do that?