Hello !

> Could anyone suggest a USB 4G cell modem ...
> I do need a direct USB connection for the purposes of sending SMS
> messages directly from the system, ...

I don't know, if it is what you are looking for but have a look at man
4 cdce. I use the listet ZTE MF831.

Yes, it is connected using USB and it supports 4G / LTE (I have the
European version) - even it is listed as Ethernet device.

> i.e. I need to be able to send a SMS even if the internet is down, ...

The default (you can do that also manually over the web interface)
setting is, that the device connects automatically to the network of
the SIM (you don't need a internet connection to send SMS but to your
phone provider as for all devices to send SMS).

I also don't know, how you define SMSTools. You can open a web
browser, connect to the stick using the gateway IP and send and
recieve SMS (you can also manage kontakts on the SIM).

Regards,

Christoph