>> I know many here are using CVS, and many are also using git, so I wonder
>> if anybody can help me.  On BSD.lv, I push my CVS repositories (kcgi,
>> sblg, etc.) to GitHub from time to time using a cvs2git script.  It goes
>> as follows, shortened and pseudonymised:
>>
>>  REPO=$1  # e.g., kcgi
>>  cd /tmp/cvs2git
>>  cvs2git --blobfile=git-blob.dat \
>>    --dumpfile=git-dump.dat \
>>    --username=kristaps@me \
>>    /path/to/cvsroot/$REPO
>>  mkdir $REPO.git
>>  cd $REPO.git
>>  git init
>>  cd .git
>>  git fast-import \
>>    --export-marks=../../git-marks.dat < ../../git-blob.dat
>>  git fast-import \
>>    --import-marks=../../git-marks.dat < ../../git-dump.dat
>>  git remote add origin https://github.com/account/$REPO.git
>>  cd ..
>>  git checkout
>
> Prior pushing, have you tried;
>
>   $ git fetch
>   $ git branch -u origin/master
>   $ git rebase

Anton,

Thanks for taking a look!  Results of running this after the checkout:

 % git fetch

 From https://github.com/account/REPO
  * [new branch]      master     -> origin/master
 % git branch -u origin/master
 Branch master set up to track remote branch master from origin.
 % git rebase
 First, rewinding head to replay your work on top of it...
 Applying:
 Using index info to reconstruct a base tree...
  [...stuff about white-space...]
 warning: 3 lines add whitespace errors.
 Falling back to patching base and 3-way merge...
 Auto-merging source.c
 CONFLICT (add/add): Merge conflict in source.c
  [...a few more messages like that...]
 error: Failed to merge in the changes.
 Patch failed at 0001
 The copy of the patch that failed is found in: .git/rebase-apply/patch

 When you have resolved this problem, run "git rebase --continue".
 If you prefer to skip this patch, run "git rebase --skip" instead.
 To check out the original branch and stop rebasing, run "git rebase
--abort".

Any further ideas?  I wish I could be more helpful, but my git fu is weak.

Best,

Kristaps